$ 30 995
SMALL SHIP CRUISE
The North Pole is the world’s northernmost point and a prize still zealously pursued by adventurers and explorers today.
WHAT MAKES THIS TRIP EXTRAORDINARY
- The 50 Years of Victory. Powered by two nuclear reactors generating 75,000 horsepower and capable of crushing a clear path through multi-year ice up to three meters thick, is the largest and most powerful icebreaker ever built.
- Cruising aboard this marvel of engineering is an unforgettable experience in itself.
- You will disembark onto the frozen sea. You are now able to stand at the top of the world.
- Visit Franz Josef Land Archipelago. This remote wilderness is home to a variety of iconic High Arctic wildlife, including polar bears. In the surrounding icy waters it is possible to spot seals, walrus, and the elusive bowhead whale.
If I have ever seen magic, it has been in Africa.
– John Hemingway
If you have any questions, please let us know. We are here to help you!
Itinerary in Brief
Murmansk, Russia (hotel night)
Welcome to the city of Murmansk on Russia’s Kola Peninsula, starting point of our adventure. Upon your arrival at the airport, you will be transferred to your hotel.
Murmansk is easy to reach by regular flights with stopovers in Moscow or Saint Petersburg. You may wish to extend your stop in Moscow.
Embarkation in Murmansk
Today we provide a group transfer to the port where we welcome you aboard the nuclear-powered icebreaker 50 Let Pobedy. Explore the ship and get orientated as we slip our moorings and sail north out of Kola Bay.
The Voyage North
Nowhere can it be more truly said that “getting there is half the fun”. As we cruise northward through the Barents Sea there is always the possibility of seeing whales. Meanwhile, you have the opportunity to learn about the unique icebreaking capabilities of the ship. You are also treated to a tour of the engine room. As we make our way across the ice cap, you witness firsthand the ship’s awesome power as massive ice blocks give way under the enormous bulk of the spoon-shaped bow. The sensation of being on deck at this time is surreal and unforgettable.
We also take advantage of 24-hour daylight to offer helicopter flightseeing tours. From the air you can observe the ship crushing a path through the ice. You also have a unique vantage point from which to witness the stunning beauty of this vast polar icescape.
Welcome to the geographic North Pole! After carefully navigating to 90 degrees North, we ceremoniously drop the anchor on a sturdy stretch of ice and disembark onto the frozen sea. Now is the time to experiencing the long-anticipated thrill of standing at the top of the world. Join hands with your fellow passengers and literally walk around the world during our special International Round Dance. You are also treated to a barbeque meal on the ice. You may even have the chance to take a plunge into the icy water! After our memorable time at the North Pole we turn around and head south. But the adventure is not over yet. The High Arctic archipelago of Franz Josef Land is still to come!
Exploration of Franz Josef Land
The Franz Josef Land archipelago, part of the Russian Arctic National Park since 2012, is a nature sanctuary. Polar bears and other quintessential High Arctic wildlife—such as walruses and some rare whale species—can be spotted anytime, anywhere in and around Franz Josef Land. Scree slopes and cliffs around the islands host enormous nesting colonies of migratory seabirds such as guillemots, dovekies, and ivory gulls. We take advantage of 24-hour daylight to exploit every opportunity for wildlife viewing and excursions via Zodiac and helicopter. Franz Josef Land is home to some interesting geological features, such as the mysterious stone spheres on Champ Island. Collectors of geographical extremes may take note that Cape Fligely on Rudolf Island is the northernmost point of land in the Eastern Hemisphere. Franz Josef Land also offers visitors the opportunity to walk in the footsteps of famous polar explorers at well-preserved historical sites. The journals of explorers such as Julius von Payer, Benjamin Leigh Smith, Frederick George Jackson, and Fridtjof Nansen come alive at Cape Norway, Cape Flora, Eira Harbour, and Cape Tegetthoff. Memorials, monuments, crosses, and the remains of dwellings are testimony to incredible historical events that are further illuminated by our expert lecturers. Tikhaya Bukhta is currently a Russian Arctic National Park ranger station occupying Soviet-era research buildings and was also a major base for polar expeditions. Nearby, the fascinating columnar basalt cliffs of Rubini Rock are home to thousands of nesting seabirds.
Day 11 & 12
The Voyage South
After our amazing time in Franz Josef Land, we cross back south through the bountiful waters of the Barents Sea. Presentations and workshops by our expert staff ensure that these days at sea are not idly spent. You may also take advantage of onboard facilities and amenities such as a polar library, volleyball court, gym, two saunas, warm seawater pool, gift shop, and massage treatments. Seabird viewing and whale sightings can be enjoyed from panoramic open decks as well as exterior stateroom windows.
Disembarkation in Murmansk
Our once-in-a-lifetime journey comes to an end. After breakfast, we say farewell in Murmansk. We provide you with a transfer to the airport for your flight home.
I/B 50 Years of Victory
The most powerful icebreaker ever built generates 75,000 horsepower and crushes multi-year ice layers three meters thick. After a few days aboard, you’ll feel her sharing power as you together battle your way through the Arctic icecap to 90º north.
I/b 50 Years of Victory is not a tourist ship. Rather, the icebreaker was purpose-built to pilot scientific and cargo ships to hard-to-reach areas of the Arctic and along the Northeast Passage. It is just during the short summer months when adventurers get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to travel aboard this real working icebreaker to the geographic North Pole.
Length: 160 m (525 ft.)
Beam: 30 m (98 ft.)
Speed: 21 knots
Departure Dates & Rates
9 Jan, 2022
- 1 pre-cruise hotel night accommodation on Day 1 in Murmansk, Russia, with breakfast;
- Transfer from the airport to the hotel in Murmansk on the day prior to embarkation;
- Transfer from the hotel to the port in Murmansk for embarkation on Day 2;
- Transfer from the port to the airport or central location in Murmansk upon disembarkation;
- Shipboard accommodation with housekeeping;
- Shipboard breakfasts, lunches, and dinners;
- Coffee, tea, and cocoa available around the clock;
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by helicopter;
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by zodiacs;
- Shore landings included in the daily program;
- Program of lectures and informal discussions by experienced Expedition Team and guest lecturers;
- Professional Expedition Leadership;
- Branded Poseidon Expeditions parka;
- Rubber boots for shore landings for the time of the cruise;
- Hairdryer and bathrobes in each cabin;
- Informative pre-departure materials;
- Digital Voyage Log;
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program;
- Gratuities to the expedition team and hotel staff;
- All shipboard luggage handling;
- Personalized medical insurance covering the risks of evacuation and repatriation. Coverage: 100,000 EUR. Duration: cruise days only. This is only for passengers under 90 years old
- Airfare to and from your hometown to Murmansk;
- Transfers from the airport to the hotel if arriving prior to Day 1 of the program;
- Passport and visa expenses (if required); a Russian visa is required for the trip. The visa must be obtained by the customer and is at his or her expense. Please, contact your local Russian Consulate to learn more about the procedure for obtaining a Visa.
- State arrival and departure taxes (if levied);
- Meals ashore and supplements in respect of single hotel accommodation (if required);
- Excess luggage charges on international and local flights;
- Telecommunication services; laundry, bar, and beverage charges aboard the vessel;
- Luggage, cancellation insurance (strongly recommended).
START YOUR ADVENTURE HERE:
Duration | 12 days
King Penguins of Tierra del Fuego + Australis Ship to Cape Horn + Torres del Paine from Explora Hotel + Easter Island
Duration | 12 days
Colombia, a country associated with color, beauty, tropical warmth and endless bounty. One of the world’s most exciting emerging wildlife watching destinations.
Duration | 13 days
Atacama, Uyuni, Titicaca Lake. Three countries in one 13 day expedition.
Duration | 11 days
Even though mountain Gorillas are the main objective of travelers to Uganda